Tuesday, October 1, 2013

6. More. Days!

Everyone,

I cant believe that the time has finally come! I only have six more days at the MTC and I leave for Japan on Monday October 7th.

On Monday we were privileged to hear from Don R. Clark of the Seventy he was a pretty good speaker. He talked about missionary work. Go figure... But it was a fairly enjoyable talk. Refreshments afterwards would have helped out a lot more for sure.

On Wednesday I had the chance to host new missionaries. I helped out  sister (sister Jones) with one of her 60 lb bags that has busted a wheel and she couldn't get it up the hill to get checked into the MTC. Turns out she lived in Maryland and went to the kentlands ward for a bit! Small world!

Thursday we had a district splits session. We each got temporary assigned new companions. I personally was with Elder Barker. He is a very quiet guy who enjoys sitting around and working which was fine by me! We got a whole lot of work done and even bore our testimonies at the end of the day with several random missionaries in Japanese! Oorah!

Friday we got our travel plans! I leave here on the 7th and arrive the next day around 5 in Narita Tokyo Airport. I think total our air time is ~18 hours. That should be fun. lots of time to convert a plane-full of investigators! Plus they cant run away!!

Saturday was a lot of fun. We worked on teaching our investigators and learned a lot about the culture of Japan. I got this huge letter from 5th company and it made my day! Shout out to all those who were involved. I'm going to try and write all the plebes back, not individually but address some of the common questions and concerns that they had. Stand by for that letter '17.

On Saturdays we also teach members. I taught a wife and Husband who were converts to the church some 60 years ago. They were super old and SUPER Japanese. The Husband looked like Mr. Miyagi. No joke. I should have taken a picture or something! Oh wells...

Sunday was mission conference and Fast and Testimony meeting. WE had a two hour conference about missionary work as an MTC led by the mission presidency. During Fast and testimony meeting I bore my testimony and was able to feel the spirit pretty strongly. All the departing missionaries sang 'God be with you till we meet again' in both English and in Japanese.

The last two weeks of the MTC we get native Japanese missionaries who come only for 2 weeks and then go back to Japan with us. They're absolutely hilarious. Our Japanese is terrible and their English not so good either but somehow we manage to communicate. Just give us a few weeks in Japan and well be on the same level of communication. I've decided to talk to anyone and everyone about anything but most importantly the Gospel. Because if not I am going to be bored and all the Japanese people will be unhappy without the knowledge of the Gospel. And that would be a shame.

This week on Wednesday my district will be skyping Investigators in Japan and teaching them the first discussion. It should be a lot of fun actually being able to speak to someone who has feet on Japanese soil. It will be hard but I think that as a district we can succeed.

There's not much else to share because each week here is pretty much the same. Lots of Japanese, lots of reading the scriptures. If you want to follow along with me back home I'm currently at Alma 13. and will be trying to get to 3 Nephi by the time I touch down in Japan, if not to finish the rest of the Book of Mormon. Ill let you know next week how it goes!

Thanks to everyone who has been writing me and keeping in contact. I love you all. You're always in my prayers. I cant wait for next week when I can write you all from a computer in Tokyo, Japan!!!


Oorah,

Elder Joshua A. Farr


PS. I have a poop-ton of pictures but the camera I have wont upload ill send them as soon as I figure out the problem!

[Note: don't send him anymore snail mail. He leaves next Monday and it probably won't get to him. Start sending stuff to Japan. DearElder will still work because it's next-day deliver. Send him some DearElder love. He'd appreciate it.]

No comments:

Post a Comment