Monday, October 14, 2013

Hello From Japan!

Everyone,

It is so good to hear from all of you! Tomorrow marks one week on this island in the middle of nowhere.

I’m going to skip my last week at the MTC because its super boring plus if you watched conference then you know exactly what I did Saturday and Sunday last weekend and the weekend before that.

After an 11 hour flight from LAX to Narita airport I finally made it to Japan! And boy is everything Asian. We stayed the night and Wednesday night at the mission home. It wasn't too crazy just basic information about the mission and what not. On Thursday we got our trainers. Luckily for me I have two! Elder Nuttall and Elder Thurman. They’re both really cool. Elder Nuttall has been out for 10 transfers and Elder Thurman for only one. They’re both super cool. Since there are three of us I apologize if my emails are really short because we have so little time to spell check or even email.

I am located in Fussa, Japan. It’s a cool little country-side of a Japan. Very Suburban-ish. There’s a train nearby. We are the area assigned to the Air base close by so not only do we have English investigators but Japanese ones as well. It’s really cool. I actually have a dinner appointment with a member family tonight on the base. It should be a cool experience.

The first few days here are pretty crazy. I don’t know Japanese and people talk sooooooo fast. Plus everyone sounds super different when speaking Japanese. I had McDonalds the other day and said what I wanted but as soon as the cashier started talking to me I didn't know what was happening. Thank goodness for trainers. It’s easy saying things to the Japanese but extremely hard when they start talking back! I’m sure I’ll get it eventually.

As for the food, the food is amazing! I've had more rice than I think I've ever had in one week before in my life. My first night here I went to a sushi-go-round restaurant where you sit at a bar and sushi just flies by you and you grab it and eat it. It was AMAZING. Sushi that comes to you! Who would have thought?!? That has to be illegal in the US. I also had Udon noodles those were really good too.

We passed out flyers for English class just about every other night because that’s the biggest source of new investigators. It gives me a good chance to practice my Japanese. It’s just scary that they sometimes talk back.

Nothing much has happened because I've only had one full day as a missionary because of conference and what not. But I’m sure I’ll have some crazy cool stories in the weeks to come. I’ll send them your way.

Love you all!

Love,
Elder Farr

P.S. I had natto for breakfast on rice the other day. It’s surprisingly tasty. No joke. I loved it!




No comments:

Post a Comment