Monday, February 24, 2014

It's getting warmer in 鎌倉!

Shipmates,

It's been a fun week here in Kamakura. The weather has been cooperating a lot and thankfully it hasn't snowed too much. The weather is looking pretty good too. It's been really sunny with clear skies. Kamakura has literally exploded with so many tourists. The trees are starting to bud, hopefully Sakura comes soon! I'm excited to see this whole city explode with pink cherry blossoms. I've only seen pictures but I can't imagine how awesome it'll be in person.

Today for P-day we celebrated Elder Barker's birthday. We went to a katana shop and talked to one of the old men in the shop. Well kind of... He mostly talked and we kind of nodded our heads like we understood. From his miming actions, and the works that I could pick out, he was talking about Vietnam, getting stabbed by a katana, planes, and exploding heads. I don't think I understood him completely. Obviously my listening comprehension needs a little work. A member from the Ward is having us over for a little birthday celebration and inviting her neighbors, and her son is inviting one of his friends too. It'll be a good way to introduce her friends to her missionaries in a non-confrontational environment.

I love the Kamakura Ward. They definitely have that missionary spirit about them. English class this week had a lot of members come to support the program. They are so willing to help out with the work. 英会話 was fun, the students are all really cool, and Elder Christensen and Elder Barker are both really great teachers. We decided that we're going to invite some of the students to hear the lessons since a lot of them like the church, the missionaries, and especially the members. I taught the intermediate class, and the way it looks, I'm going to be teaching it from now on so that the class can get used to the teaching style of one teacher. It's good that I taught swimming lessons for two years because it's kind of the same, except with old Japanese people. And English and not swimming.

I am a huge fan of the Kamakura area as well. I've had a lot of opportunity to talk to Americans who are lost and are trying to find their way around. My connection to the Navy has proved useful in conversations with many people and allows for natural conversations to take place. I talked to this guy who was an aviation ordinance worker for the Navy. Basically his job was to take care of the bombs and missiles that they put on planes that are launched from a carrier. He was really cool, and we talked about how the navy is cool and how Japan is cool. I told him what I wanted to service select and he gave me his opinions. It's interesting Americans are about 50/50. Some completely blow us off, and the others, are completely down to talk! Last Wednesday, we helped translate for an American who didn't really know what a store clerk was telling her. It's nice being able to speak a bit of the lang age. We're definitely at an advantage over the Americans on Base.

I've finally seen all the area this week and it's interesting to see just how different the place is from Fussa! There are these guys who pull around these carts with people in them and give them tours. They're mostly for the Japanese and I've never seen an American on one, but I think that it would be cool to ride around on one. I would enjoy it regardless of comprehension ability!

Things are going well here in Kamakura. Unfortunately none of our investigators are really progressing, but I know that with Faith all things are possible! Just have to keep on pressing forward despite any setbacks.

Have a great week!

Love,
Elder Joshua Farr
Pictures: Big Buddah, Freezing on a beach, the church building, the katana shop






No comments:

Post a Comment