Tuesday, August 20, 2013

I still have no idea what is going on, but it's great!

All,

I made it through week two. Crazy huh? A lot has happened since I last wrote. I have spent a LOT of time in the classroom learning Japanese. I still have no idea what is going on. I know a few words in Japanese but I just sit in class and wonder what the heck the sensei is saying. Luckily we have our very own missionary who has taken a few years of Japanese. Without him then we would be out of luck. Who knows how we would function without him.

Last Tuesday my companion and I lined at the gate to the MTC 60 min prior to the Tuesday devotional. As soon as the gates were I opened we quickly walked to the Marriott center passing several hundred missionaries. It was good because it turns out Elder Richard G. Scott was speaking and my companion and I were able to sit in the first row of missionaries in front of him. He looks really old. He talked about prayer and how prayer can be effective. He also talked a lot about his love for the missionaries and the Church. The spirit was really strong. The devotional was broadcast throughout the world at all the MTCs. If you watch it you can see my head multiple times throughout it. 

I've met several zoomies this week. They are all silly. I was running this morning from breakfast in my PT clothes and one of them told me to "Keep on running Plebe." Probably one of the funniest things today. It’s okay because I give them even more of a hard time. 

On Sunday we watched a church movie in Japanese. I just sat there and tried to figure out what they were saying. It was like a reverse dubbed Japanese Movie. Pretty hilarious. I probably shouldn't have been laughing in the back of the room but oh well...

The missionaries in my district are all under the impression that Cathryn and I are both trained killers. This is accurate. I have them all wearing their watches inside out and eating healthier meal alternatives. I lead about 5 of them in a workout yesterday morning. I would consider myself a leader among all these 18-something year old's. They all keep referring to themselves as "Farr Choro" And using my name in various songs and phrases. It’s silly and flattering at the same time. 

To help me learn the language I have been carrying around index cards in my shirt pocket with 20 vocabulary words on it. Every day I write down new words and the next day I learn them. My comprehension has improved. It’s crazy how in 9 weeks most missionaries can get by with what they have learned. Only at the MTC.

My branch president is President Mack, a balding man. He and I both can relate to the struggles of hair loss. Dad would probably like him too. I wrote him an email asking for permission to shave my head. #FingersCrossed.

Thank you all for the letters they are so uplifting and help to keep me motivated throughout this trial of my faith. Thank you all for your support and love it can be certainly felt here at the MTC. 

Side note: my companion, Elder Hernandez has not gotten any mail or packages. The chance on him getting any is 2% for all his family lives on a base in Okinawa. If you have the chance please send him something his address is the same as mine but his name is: Elder David Hernandez. That would make his day. Thanks!

I hope everything is going well in the real world I love you all.

Best Wishes,
Joshua A. Farr
Elder        LDS

No comments:

Post a Comment